Saturday, February 23, 2008

Small world

For some unpredictable reason, whenever I get traveling, a confirmation that the world isn't that big comes my way. A typical day, a regular taxi, the attempt to explain where to go and even more predictable question about where I come from... but this time after mentioning that Im a student in Denmark (have sort of given up explaining my split-identity issue :P; everyone seems to know Denmark though - probably because of the caricature crisis), instead of "OK" I hear "Hvordan gaar det?". It turns out that his sister lives in Aalborg and has a Danish husband. After that the unavoidable used-all-over-the-word comment about the cold versus warm weather, Danish milk products and for how long I've been there. A nice change from the standard situation, where I remain silent, smiling or trying to figure the correct moments when to laugh while the taxi driver rambles on in Thai :)

No comments: