Sunday, March 30, 2008

Trip of the day - Ayutthaya




Sunday's are for exploring. Got up at 6am, out the door at 7am to be at the central train station at 8am - from there 1.5 h ride (85 km north from Bangkok) to a city called Ayutthaya, which was established around 1350 (was one of the wealthiest cities in Asia around 1600). The city was destroyed by burmese warriors, so all thats left from the glorious days are ruins - still impressive, though. The train ride - this is rather funny - there was a choice between the 2nd (with some sort of air-condition) and 3rd class (open windows and some fans), fair enough. But check out the price difference - 20 BTH for the 3rd and 240 BTH for the 2nd :) Wild, wild, people! Well, the first picture if of the 2nd class (I guess the main thing is that such a ticket comes with a seat number) on the way to the destination and the old lady (she had aged in such a way that it seemed she was constantly smiling... I guess I wouldn't mind getting my old age wrinkles set in such a way...) in the 3rd class on the way back. Stood up for most of the way, since it was crowded, but got to sit down in the end for some 20 minuter or so. Not that it was a good idea - once I got out in Bangkok I looked like I had "peed" in my pants :) Anyway, once there I got a tuk-tuk to drive me around for 3 hours to all the must-see objects. 
Wonderful day, all in all. Very very hot here now and I cant avoid wiping sweat beads off my forehead every other 10 minutes. I will let the pictures do the talking.
P.S. And YES, I did forget sun lotion... 

No comments: