Saturday, March 1, 2008

Can't come up with a decent title

Just had a "trip" to the small convenience store next door, and when I say 'next door' I really mean it.. the place is maybe 100 meters away. Anyway, this building has a night guard - a sweet older man, who always comes running when I come back with a taxi from Seacon Square mall - he always insists on taking some of my shopping bags out of my hands... I gave him a small chocolate once just to somehow express my gratitude. It was a little tricky to decipher if his immediate reaction was positive or not - he kinda waved and walked off; I got paranoid if I had unintentionally crossed some lines with that, but nope - the next day it was all smiles as usual :)
The point Im even mentioning this is - now, that I was on my way to the store, he comes up and says: "madam, go where?" I reply I'm just going around the corner and walk, when I realize that he's coming with me. Thought to myself.. what, maybe he misunderstood me or something? Maybe he wants to help me to get a taxi? When I got to the corner, he stops, points at the store and says, while pointing at himself: "wait for 5 minutes". My heart almost jumped out through my mouth. Thought... you gotta be kidding me... you gotta be kidding... he walked me through the dark street and waited.. and then carried one of the shopping bags... if this would have been one of my bad and feeling-very-lonely-days, I probably would have tried to hug this unbelievably amazing elderly man.