Monday, January 28, 2008

The Night Out

Friday night - lets say that my first night out was a good indicator of the events coming up in the future. A tiny network of new friends (more precise acquaintances at this stage) has been created - some local folks (oh, there was this Thai guy called Jo-Jo (think - Mo-Jo, Austin, Mo-Jo!) and he had the wickedest afro I've seen in a long time!)), 2 canadian "kids", one american and then I got a "friend request" on Facebook from a person I don't remember talking to, but I guess I did... eerrm :P

The taxi rides.
Oh my whatever..On my way to the On Nut station (the closest SkyTrain stop), the taxi driver must have confused his daily job with being Eddie Murphy in "Beverly Hills Cops"! There are lots of small bridges and elevations here and, if you drive fast enough, it is possible to make one's car jump a bit. Well, lets just say that I was wishing for the seat-belts to reappear (for some reason in most of the taxies the seat-belts on the back seat have been removed:P), hehe. I was also hoping for all the scooter and moped drivers to vaporize :P Couldn't resist from having a peek at the speedometer - 90 km/h. In the city. It's completely legal. Here, if technically possible (normally traffic is slow and jammed), you can do 90 all over the place. Ok, that was the first ride. Now the second one was more exciting - the drive was not more than 10 minutes; and I should have known better - check out if the meter is running a.s.a.p. Until now, I have never seen it not being turned on (and I have had a fair share of taxi rides), but in this case the meter was on when I got in the cab and miraculously turned off while I was in it :P
Anyway, at the end the driver was asking 200 BHT, where the actual meter price for the distance would be around 40-50 BHT. I don't like being ripped off (especially when its so bloody obvious he took me for an idiot), so there is nothing else to do than to refuse to pay the sum asked. I also don't appreciate being yelled at, hehe, especially if its some agitated taxi driver with bad moral. Hand over 70 and get out of the vehicle quickly :P

Had fun, and thats what matters. Cafe DeMoc - small, cozy and over-stuffed with people from the MustgoPartyBangkok group. The theme of the arrangement was High School Prom-Night - a british goth-type of a guy was crowned as the Prom Queen (yeah, the queen :P). 
One "incident" that has never happened to me before - I was refused my Mojito. The reason - takes too long time to make, hehe. Well, the bartenders were some young kids without that much experience in cocktail making, so.. but anyway, what the heck is wrong with the world??

The majority of bars and clubs in Thailand close around 1.30-2am (influenced by UK?), though there are some left, where refuge for the last hours of the night can be found. None of us (what where we - like 10 survivors in the end) felt like moving direction home/bed, so off we went on a mission to a bar called Tiger. There is something about leaving the tourist filled bars on the famous streets and moving on to a tiny, very local joint behind Burger King :) On top of drinks becoming cheaper, a place like that is mainly occupied by Thai students, which have the same wish as us, foreigners - to mingle :)


No comments: