Friday, January 18, 2008

The first evening - Accommodation/Shopping

In da' "house" there is this huge room (well, I think its large by any standards, but, if I compare it to my last room, this is humongous!) and just when you walk in, you get this feeling that yup, Thailand it is. There is something about the paneling and the way the furniture looks - it has some oriental "air" around it. A cute little balcony as well. The bed basically consists of two 1.40m beds (or so I estimate) - basically anybody sleeping in it better be "wide" than tall :P So, for the next 5 month I can practice all the rolling I feel like - and Christina, when you come - don't worry about blankets (I don't see the point of having one there in the first place). Maybe it becomes a requirement in April, which is the hottest month of all (can easily hit the 40 degrees Celsius margin, I was told) - what a load on air-condition...
The building itself is located approximately 10-15 minutes drive from the office; until now I haven't really seen anything else besides the studio flat, local convenience store and the office, so I'm not sure what else is in the neighborhood.

Last night I realized I had to do some emergency shopping and managed to find the local store. It's been a while since shopping for simple goods has taken that much time :) It is fortunate that, at least on the majority of the products, descriptions in English are easy locatable (proximity of Singapore?), nevertheless the whole shopping process is rather confusing. No luck with milk or any other dairy product, so opting for soya-milk (I have to watch out not to get too healthy - that would be a killer:P)

GTH is offering free lunch for its employees - so my first experience with original Thai food happened just 4 hours ago. It was amusing to see how everybody was throwing sneaky looks in my direction to see, if I will eat it or not - people worry the food might be too spicy for a pale European like me. Tasted great - a soup rich with flavors from lemon grass, galanga and kaffir lime leaves (I recall I once cooked a curry that tasted very similar to this) and some unidentifiable green vegetables. Mr. X (the only nickname form the IT department that I remember - since Thai names are very long, everyone has a nickname or a short) mentioned the name, but it, of course, didn't ring a bell - it did resemble see weed a bit, but tasted nothing like it. And don't forget the rice!


4 comments:

t. said...

Thai food is so good :D I just ate it the day before yesterday. Spicy is good. Well, I am sure that it is not so 'real' thai as in Thailand, but still :D

ps! your writings are cool :D

Unknown said...

Hey hun,

Good to see that life is treating you good, and the men too :D (This wouldn't have happened in Iceland :) )
And you definitely deserve it.

Well about the room, after the last one you stayed in everything must be "humongous" to you :D
But to have balconies and all makes it all sound excellent.

But when you talked about the food ! Pffff... I would have just shouted "Where is my hamburger - and no vegetables please"

I'll try to read your blog as often as I can but as you know I'm really "busy" with the final project already so don't expect that much of me. he he he

Hilsen, Addi

Laura said...

Hey Addi,

Thanks for your post, dear, and about the men treating me well - would you play a smartass with someone thats taller than you? :P

You would survive here too - McDonalds is very popular within the younger generation... but then again, its not like you are within that group anymore :)

And about being "busy" with your final procjet - hahaa, well, if you manage to put one day's work during this period, I will be proud of ya' :)

Hugs, Laura

Laura said...

Hi Tarvi,

What did you have then? Are there many Thai restaurants in Sweden? For some reason one can find most of Asian kitchens in Denmark, but exactly Thai is somewhat limited :)

Im glad you like my writing - doing it for fun only, so don't expect any deep thoughts, hehe :P